Wednesday, August 31, 2005

A-List Celebrities? This must be a mistake.

I have to confess, this film was a bit of a surprise. I was not familiar with the wonder that is High Spirits. Apparently, I was alone in this.

Of all the films I've collected so far, this is the first one that peole actually said "Oh, I think I've seen that one. Could I borrow it?"

Borrow? A Steve Guttenberg film? This is unprecedented. And fabulous!

That being said, I'm sure you're all familiar with the following film.


It's the touching tale of a man who invents stories about ghosts in his castle to lure in tourists. Imagine his surprise when those ghosts turn out to be real! Oh, the hilarity!

But wait - that's not enough for you?

How about a little romance?


What could be more touching than the love between a man unhappy in his marriage and a ghost who's been reliving her own murder for the past two hundred years?

Despite Daryl Hannah's "Irish" accent and a touch of Gutttenberg overacting, this actually isn't bad at all. It's pretty funny. And it's chock full of recognizable names! Who'd have thought?

Peter O'Toole, Beverley D'Angelo, Jennifer Tilly, Peter Gallagher, Liam Neeson. In 1988, these were all big names, I'll have you know.

I was very pleasantly surprised by this movie. And I'd probably watch it again. Who'd have thought?

Title: High Spirits

Steve Guttenberg Films Still To Be Collected: 27

Purchased: On eBay

Cost: £3.50, including delivery

The Most Beloved Guttenberg Movie Yet?: Priceless.

1 comment:

Eric Dienstfrey said...

Hey Alice... I've never actually seen the film, but I know the director's fairly credible. Neil Jordan also directed The Crying Game, Interview with the Vampire, and The End of the Affair.... though I guess he decided not to use Guttenberg in those films.

He will be missed.